Monday, November 26, 2007

We're back

We slipped away to a little bed and breakfast up in Mendocino for Thanksgiving. We had stayed at this particular B&B a couple of times in our previous life. It is a really great place and I will write more about it later.

S actually came up with the idea of going to Mendocino, completely unprompted, last weekend. For us, at this stage in our lives, 4-5 days' notice is pretty spontaneous.

The coast was as beautiful as I remembered it. I love the ocean. I could sit and watch it for hours.

We are so lucky that the innkeepers at the B&B were fine with us bringing KB along. The stay was not a complete disaster, as I feared it would be, but things could have been...better. KB was up at 5:30 the first two days and we had asked for the earliest breakfast delivery, which was not until 8:30. Keeping him quiet and entertained in the room was a definite challenge. We brought half a dozen of his favorite books but S didn't want to bring any of his toys. Oy.

Eventually I am going to learn that I just have to override S because he is very silly about things like this.

KB loved the ocean, although we never got close enough for him to even get his feet wet. The water here is way too cold. We had a couple of nice walks (about a mile round trip to the ocean and back) and KB walked nearly the whole way both times. Didn't tire him out enough to sleep late in the mornings, but...

It was nice to get away, but nicer still to get home. KB, as adaptable as we tend to think of him, is a creature of habit. He likes being in his house, with his toys and books. There were several times during the trip that KB said, "I wanna go home, Mommy. I wanna leave right now." I think he had a good time, and he definitely enjoyed all the outdoor time, but at this point in his young life, he prefers to stick closer to home.

And really, right now, that's fine by me.

P.S. I have my first appointment at my ob-gyn's office at 3:30 today. We haven't been released from the RE's office yet, and we will have another ultrasound there next Wednesday. S thinks I am being sneaky by going to the ob-gyn's for an appointment in between. My thinking is, I will be 8 weeks on Wednesday. Why wait until I get released from the RE (I hope) at 9 weeks, and then cross my fingers that I get an appointment at the ob's office quickly? I'm pretty sure the first trimester screening is at 11 weeks, so I'd rather get into the system and get the ball rolling on that.

No comments: