Thursday, November 8, 2007

Good thing I didn't get these numbers first

My OB's office called yesterday with Saturday's hCG results. They use a lab that is a little, shall we say, slow.

The nurse said, "I'm a little confused why we're running these for you." Do most women just get a qualitative hCG test? Pregnant or not pregnant? Give me numbers, baby!

So my hCG level on Saturday (17dpiui) was 908. If I had gotten that number on Saturday afternoon, I would have freaked out and worried the rest of the weekend. Since my 15dpiui level was 477, I was looking for something in the 950 range.

I'm just very glad I got Monday's result (2238) first.

Again, to recap:

10/31, 11:50 am: 296 (14dpiui)
11/1, 9:00 am: 477 (15dpiui)
11/3, 10:10 am: 908 (17dpiui)
11/5, 9:15 am: 2238 (19dpiui)

The 15dpiui and 19dpiui tests were done in the lab at the RE's office. The 14dpiui and 17 dpiui tests were done by two different offices of the Stanford Blood Lab.

But still, I would think a quant. hCG is a quant. hCG.

Oh well, no point in stressing about it now.

Of course, I've been taking all my numbers and Googling obsessively for things like hCG predictive pregnancy outcome. I really need to stop.

But I think at least I've figured out why the first several weeks of pregnancy unnerve me so. There's no feedback. Aside from a couple (few) beta hCG numbers and hopefully an ultrasound (or two, or three), there is little indication WTF is going on inside my body.

At least in the second and third trimesters, you can feel the baby move and kick. From 10 or so weeks on, you can hear the baby's heartbeat on Doppler. (Aside: yes, I will be renting one again. I am that needy.)

Yes, my boobs are killing me and I maul them at every opportunity: "Are they still sore? Are they still as sore as they were yesterday?"

And I'm exhausted. But I'm sure that has more to do with my whirling dervish of a 2-year-old.

I wonder what Tom and Katie did with their ultrasound machine after Suri was born? I sure could use one right about now.

Can't believe I have to wait another week.

2 comments:

Maryam said...

How accurate are the tests? I'd think that there'd be at least a small bit of room for error.

About the only thing I felt the first few weeks with Creature was tired, but not as tired as I had been with Spawn. I didn't even get sore boobs (which was an excellent thing since Spawn was still nursing).

pithydithy said...

Hon, you're totally nuts.

I only tell you this because I was (and would be again) just as nutty. I seriously considered trying to get some data that would allow me to run a regression and predict a pregnancy's probability of success based on HCG levels, progesterone, and various other factors. If I knew where such data existed....

You're doing great (nuts and all). Hang in there.