Thursday, November 15, 2007

Relief...and surprise

Long, long ago, before S and I knew how tough a time we would have creating a family, we talked about how many kids we wanted. Each of us comes from a family of 3 siblings. I thought 3 children sounded like a pretty good number, while S insisted he wanted only 2.

"What if," I asked him, playing devil's advocate, "we had one child, then got pregnant with twins when we tried for a second one?"

I think he said something smart-assed about giving one away.

Fast-forward to a few weeks ago. I was talking to one of S's cousins at a family gathering. She was asking if we were getting ready to try for #2. I told her that we were just starting fertility treatments again. Her eyes grew big. "Aren't you scared you might wind up with twins?" she asked me. I tried very hard to stifle a laugh. Was she kidding? Did she know how much trouble we had getting/staying pregnant with one?

Fast-forward again, post-IUI. When I asked KB if he wanted a baby brother or a baby sister, he replied, "A baby brother AND a baby sister." When I ask him how many babies are in Mommy's tummy, he replies, "Two. Two babies, and one girl."

Anyone who doesn't see what's coming, please raise your hand.

Yes, miracle of miracles, we saw 2 sacs and 2 heartbeats.

From a cycle that I was ready to write off after the first follicle scan. From a cycle that supposedly only had one dominant follicle and some other piddly ones.

The doctor who did my ultrasound was very blunt. He said there is a 40-50% chance of the twins reducing to a singleton. And he said there is still a 20-25% chance of miscarriage in general.

So I'm not out of the woods yet, but right now, today, I am carrying twins.

2 comments:

Maryam said...

Oh boy!

Speaking of boy. What if it's two boys? And isn't it amazing how kids can predict things?

pithydithy said...

I knew it! Okay, so I just knew it from the title, but I knew it! I'm so excited for you! This is amazing!When's the next sonogram?