Wednesday, July 23, 2008

How do my ILs drive me batshit crazy? Let me count the ways...

If I had the time, and the energy, I would enumerate them all. But I fear that would take days.

- MIL gives me constant updates on AB. If his eyes are even the slightest bit open, she proclaims "He's wide awake!!" And thinks this means she should play with him. If he has his eyes closed, "He's fahst asleep". If he cries at all, it's because "He's hungry!"

- FIL and MIL both refuse to let AB go to sleep. They want to be holding him all. the. time. If he is still, and shows signs of drowsiness, they will snap their fingers in his face or whistle loudly to wake him up. Holy shit, does this piss me off. Then when he inevitably startles, MIL will tell me "He doesn't want to sleep."

- FIL gives me no personal space while nursing. For several days, I tried going out to the living room and sitting on the couch to nurse. FIL would pace around the house and walk right up to me while I had my boob out. So I decided, screw it. If he wants to see my boobs, he can see them. Now I just sit in the family room and if he's around, he gets a free show.

- MIL talks to KB as if he's about 12 months old, high-pitched 'parentese' and all. It's incredibly condescending and annoying. I don't think KB cares for her too much.

- MIL and FIL both accost KB the second he comes home from preschool. They try to force him to give them hugs. They don't seem to understand that at this age, they would have better luck letting KB come to them.

- MIL thinks we should eat every single meal together. They will wait and wait and wait for me to eat lunch with them, even when I tell them that I am busy with AB and that they should go ahead.

- They drink water and then put the used glasses on the dish drainer as if they are clean. YUCK!!!

- They use about 6 coffee cups per day, each, instead of rinsing and re-using them. The dishwasher fills up quickly because they drink so much coffee and have several snack times every day.

- I have absolutely no personal space anymore. I feel as if I need to be entertaining them. If I want to hang out in my room, with my baby, I feel guilty that I'm not downstairs with them. If I stay downstairs with them, the conversation is stilted (or non-existent) and I am bored out of my ever-living mind.

This is going to be the longest 4 months ever. How did I forget how much they drove me insane after KB was born?

S talks about how much "help" they are/will be. Ha! They are certainly no help around the house, they are actively ruining AB's sleep/wake cycles, and just having them here is making me miserable. The only thing MIL does that is helpful is to give AB his post-BF bottle. And once the Lact-Aid arrives, she won't even be doing that.

Honestly, I wish my parents could have stayed and the ILs were the ones who had already gone back home.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

FOUR MONTHS???? ACCKKKK!!!!

I like the idea of giving your FIL a peep show!

I'm so sorry things aren't so well.

Rhonda said...

OMFG!! FOUR MONTHS?!

You have more self-control than I do. I would have alienated myself by now.

HUGS!!

Can I kick the Pedi in the family jewels for what he said to you?

Anonymous said...

Poor Sissa,

I am so sorry that the IL's are so insensitive.
I do remember you going crazy with them after Kiran was born, and I think the first 2-3 weeks are the hardest. One forgets how crazy they can get and you have to relearn the whole tolerating them and still being happy again.
I REALLY hope it gets better soon and they get their act together some.
I'd really think he'd be careful of your 'modesty' while you breastfeed!!!
Big hugs.

A

Joanna said...

HOLY POOP ON A CRACKER...4 months, really? What did you do to deserve this kind of punishment!! That's just wrong. :)

Hang in there, babe.

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled upon your blog and find this post to be very refreshing. I have similar issues with my mil. For me it's tea cups and tea bags. She's destroyed my wooden island top with teacup rings. She some how managed to get into her mid-sixties without learning how to cleanup after herself. Do you know how difficult it is to wipe up raw egg on the counter after it's dried to hard glaze? Her nursing questions and suggestions kill my confidence and lead me to believe I'm doing something wrong. Did I mention that she asks the same questions and gives the same suggestions eight times daily? I want to shake her sometimes. She's constantly trying to push fragrance free products on me due to her smell aversions. I have a whole closet full of scentless shampoo. Hello woman.....I like smells! Get over it! She wouldn't even let her husband blow out his birthday candles in the house!

Guess who was visiting the weekend of a major blizzard and a 37 hour blackout?!?! The worst part is that she's extremely "sweet" so I'm the one who feels like a world class bitch at the end of every visit.

Thanks for allowing me to vent. You rock.