Monday, February 25, 2008

The great escape

Ah, somehow I managed to get through the ENTIRE weekend without any "help", company or houseguests!! And my stress level is back to normal -- whatever 'normal' is when I'm a pregnant, sick, single parent to a very active preschooler.

Saturday after I posted my rant, I sent V a text message and said that KB and I were still getting over being sick, and maybe we could try getting together on Sunday. She called me back when she got up (almost 9 am -- oh, the decadence!!) and said that S had been quite insistent that she come over and "take care of us." I scoffed and said that if S had really been worried about us, he wouldn't have left us when we were sick.

I don't think she really wanted to come down, because she didn't protest very convincingly when I said we were fine and would be OK on our own.

I told her I'd try to call that night or Sunday morning and we'd see how things were. She said they'd be happy to come down and bring us some soup or something.

Saturday night, I just went to bed after I put KB to bed. I really cannot seem to sleep/rest enough to kick this cold.

Sunday morning, we got up and both of us were pretty stir crazy after spending so much time at home. So I got us both ready and we went down the street to the light rail station. KB loves riding the train. We went to the Children's Discovery Museum and spent a good couple of hours there.

The place was a madhouse. Way too many people. Note to self: take KB during the week instead. But at least he got to run around a lot. He didn't spend much time on any one activity, but he seemed to have a good time.

We got home around 2 and I got him to sleep around 2:30. I, on the other hand, was completely wired and couldn't sleep.

Noticed that I had a missed call and a voice mail from V around 1:15. I still haven't checked the voice mail.

I know, it's completely bitchy and passive-aggressive of me. But I just was not in any kind of mood to have houseguests this weekend. Cooking for them, cleaning up after them, making sure the coffeepot was ready to go (it never gets used unless we have guests sleeping over), washing sheets and towels, trying to keep them entertained when KB was sleeping (when I really needed & wanted to sleep myself), etc. Not my idea of a "helpful" weekend.

No comments: