Monday, August 13, 2007

Whose sari now?

We are going to India for a cousin's wedding. This will be only my second Indian wedding besides my own (very simple, at a relative's house).

I know, of course, what is expected of me in the dress department. I will be required to wear a sari. I own all of 2 saris (one simple, one more elaborate) and have worn each of them a grand total of: once. The simple one I wore for my own wedding in India, and the more elaborate one for a cousin-in-law's.

The only other time I have needed a sari, for my bangle ceremony during my pregnancy, I borrowed one from S's cousin.

Saris are not cheap, and I don't have occasion to wear one very often. Not to mention that I have absolutely no clue how to do all the folding and wrapping required to actually do the wearing.

So, it has been decided that I will borrow a sari from one of the female relatives when I am in India. That is not a huge issue; I'm sure they have stacks and stacks of saris among them.

But I have only a handful of blouses to wear underneath the actual sari. Most of them are quite plain and won't go well with an elaborate sari with all the gold stitching. I have 2 blouses with gold stitching, each a different shade of pink. I tried them on this morning to see if they still fit (I last wore them in 2000).

Oops.

So I have 13 days to lose a bit of bustline (I don't think the girls went back to their pre-KB size after pregnancy & nursing) and to tone up my arms a little.

I guess I should have tried on my blouses a few weeks ago!

2 comments:

pithydithy said...

Groan. Bad pun. (But, of course, with puns bad is good.) Good look with the sari weight loss!

Maryam said...

Looks like I'm going to miss you. I fly out of California on the 1st.