Sunday, August 17, 2008

The briefest of updates

Breastfeeding is going better. I think. AB weighed 9 lbs, 12 oz at group on Thursday. (After eating, he was up to a cool 10 lbs) Last week, he was 9 lbs, 4 oz at group. So 8 oz in 7 days. Not bad.

He doesn't seem to like the right side much, for some reason. He grunts, twists my nipple, pulls off frequently. I don't know if I'm just holding him badly or what. I usually do cradle hold first and then switch to the football hold to let him empty the breast as much as possible. He does much better on the left side. I'm trying *not* to favor that side because I don't want Righty to dry up from lack of use.

The biggest issue, I guess, is how frickin' long AB takes to feed. He's a sipper. He usually takes 45 minutes to an hour to finish both sides. He is not a one-boob man, oh no. He wants both boobs at every feeding. And he takes. for. ever. Sometimes he takes even longer than an hour.

I'm trying to hang in there. I keep hoping that as he gets bigger and stronger, he'll get more efficient. I just wish I knew when that might happen. Nursing is literally a full-time job, and it's very, very difficult on the days KB is home with me.

Luckily (or not), S is still looking for a job, so he's home with us right now. Oh, did I mention that he got laid off from his job?

Yeah, so there's that.

Have to run for now. AB is starting to fuss, and it's getting close to feeding time again.

3 comments:

Maryam said...

Boob preference is totally normal, as is hour long nursing. Both my boys prefer(red) the left. Either the milk flow is more to their liking or it's just more comfortable. I even it out mostly by side-lying nursing the other side.

And the hour long nursing does get better. Lucas was a very slow nurser. He did cut the time down. I can't remember when though.

You should get KB some nursing activities, things you guys only do together when you're nursing. Like story time or sticker books. Counting toes and naming baby body parts works for a little bit too.

You're past the hardest part. It just gets easier from here (until you discover nursolympics).

Anonymous said...

Sissa, I do remember the NEVER ending feeding cycles (mostly with Aadi). They do get quicker at it- I think around 3 months or so I remember being done in 25-30 minutes on both sides. And both my kids almost always nursed on both sides at every feed. I know it can be a little frustrating at times, especially if you want to do something with KB at the same time.
But seriously the hardest part is behind you and you and Aidan are doing SO well.
I'm sorry about S getting laid off. .. hope something great comes up for him real soon.

Hugs!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I think my right side is starting to dry up. It was always weaker with #1, and now with #2 he totally prefers the left side. These moments of super long feedings will get better, they just suck when it's happening. I was always afraid #2 wasn't getting enough because he always finished quickly, but his suction was different from the beginning.

**hugs to you**