Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My mother on breastfeeding

Mom: Are you going to try nursing again this time?

Me: Yes, I'd really like to give it my best shot.

Mom: But this time, I'm guessing you're going to be a lot more willing to supplement right away if things don't work out?

Me: Well, I'd really like breastfeeding to work this time. I'll work with the lactation consultant at the hospital from the beginning, and if she can't help me, I'll find another one.

Mom: But last time, you were feeding KB every 2 hours, and you were trying for 45 minutes at a time, and he still wasn't gaining weight, and you weren't sleeping, and you were so tired and so frustrated. It was just awful.

**************************************

This is the second time my mother has instigated the "But you're going to just give formula if breastfeeding doesn't work immediately, right?" conversation.

Do I really need to tell you that my mother did not give any of us 3 kids a single drop of breast milk?

I am starting to regret my decision to have my mom here for the first 3 weeks. I need support, not someone telling me at every turn to give up and just give formula because "it's easier".

5 comments:

Dee said...

Good luck--hoping it works out for you as you'd like this time :-)

pithydithy said...

I'm sorry that you're already looking forward and foreseeing a battle. You're right that what you'll need is support and encouragement. Although she wasn't as negative, my mom was also prone to asking if I was sure he was getting enough and didn't I need to supplement and so on. It's partly a generational thing, I know. Anyway, you'll have the internet cheering you on!

Maryam said...

If you ever need any help, just let me know. Not sure what I can do from a distance, but I'll cheer you on. If you have time, find your local LLL and go now. Get to know them, get their numbers. They are more than willing to help at any hour of the day. If your group is anything like mine, it's really the sweetest bunch of women.

Maryam said...

Oh, and my mother also did the are you sure you're making enough. She didn't say as much the second time around, but I think after having the boy who would not wean, it would be rather silly of her to give me breastfeeding advice.

Rhonda said...

Just tell her "It may be easier, but it's not necessarily better" and let her chew on that awhile. *chuckle*

Sorry she's not being support with BF. I hope that you'll have an easier time this go round.